What We Do
Circular Matters team members have a strong track record of providing sustainability consulting services to private-sector and government clients with excellent outcomes. We are experienced experts in policies and programs pertaining to sustainable materials management and sustainable packaging, with a specialty in recycling market development. We empower companies to navigate current and emerging sustainable packaging and other environmental policies, develop sustainability reports, and conduct feasibility studies and program evaluations, policy analyses and develop comprehensive sustainable materials management plans and recycling market development plans.
Policy Tracking, Assessment and Strategic Advisory
We arm clients with information and knowledge they need to make critical policy decisions.
We are policy experts. We understand what policies successfully minimize waste and enhance recycling – and best practices for implementing these policies at the state and local levels.
We assess the implications of existing and proposed policies to provide clients with peace of mind and the knowledge of how various policies may affect current and future business. We aid our clients in developing their own policy positions as well as understanding those of other stakeholders.
Circular Matters helps both public and private-sector clients understand available policy tools, and the best ways of implementing these tools. Examples of work in this arena include:
- Monitoring state legislative activity
- Developing policy updates and executive briefings
- Assessing stakeholder positioning
- Recommending policies and implementation strategies
- Developing policy position statements and draft ordinances
Policies are complex, and can have unintended consequences. We help clients understand policy trends, potential risks and opportunities, and develop appropriate engagement strategies.
Developing domestic markets for recovered materials enhances stability, results in economic growth, and mitigates risk for brand owners.
Recycling Market Development
Recycling doesn’t happen until materials are sold and used productively. Our expertise includes developing markets for recyclable materials.
Recycling can be integral to economic development. After decades of relying too heavily on foreign markets, we now realize the need to develop markets domestically to ensure market stability. As sustainability consultants, we identify barriers and opportunities for developing markets and strategies to address them. Today’s environment offers exciting opportunities to foster innovation and collaboration – both necessary in developing markets. Our experience includes:
- Assessing the effectiveness of recycling market development programs
- Identifying barriers to recycling market development, and strategies to overcome them
- Conducting supply and demand analyses for variable commodity types
- Assessing feedstock availability for independent engineering studies
- Providing direct technical and business assistance to recycled product manufacturers
Sustainable Materials Management Planning, Analysis and Strategic Improvement
We help find sustainable solutions for products, residuals, and discarded materials and provide our clients with an opportunity to make a winning business case.
The Circular Matters team has planned, evaluated, and recommended improvements for local, state and corporate materials management programs, and helped numerous companies and industry associations increase recycling access and recovery of selected post-consumer materials. Our services/ experience includes:
- Developing materials management plans for EPA regions and state governments
- Preparing annual sustainability reports
- Conducting recycling program assessment and optimization
- Conducting waste minimization analyses for businesses and institutions
- Conducting MRF efficiency studies and material audits
- Assessing the effectiveness of state-level recycling funding mechanisms
- Conducting waste composition studies
- Verifying supply chain claims
We support our clients in proactively and effectively tackling the materials management challenges impacting their success.
We are experienced at developing and presenting information tailored to your organization’s needs. We can boil down complex information to the essential elements.
Circular Economy Engagement and Thought Leadership
We help businesses and organizations strategically engage as leaders in building the circular economy.
The business case for a circular economy is compelling and companies and governmental agencies everywhere are giving serious consideration to its implications. Whether an organization is just considering or has already made a decision to become engaged, as sustainability consultants, we provide a wealth of knowledge to help clients better understand and navigate the circular economy business model. Our experience includes:
- Developing and conducting executive and staff briefings on packaging sustainability trends and drivers
- Preparing white papers and thought leadership articles
- Developing responses to customer questions about packaging sustainability
- Developing thought leadership presentations for specific audiences
- Developing and conducting for recycling and solid waste management professionals as well as corporate employees
- Facilitating stakeholder engagement session
- Developing easy-to-understand fact sheets, FAQs, and updates on complex issues