What We Do
We support our clients in proactively and effectively tackling the materials management challenges impacting their success.
Sustainable Materials Management Planning, Analysis and Strategic Improvement
We help find sustainable solutions for products, residuals, and discarded materials and provide our clients with an opportunity to make a winning business case.
The Circular Matters team has planned, evaluated, and recommended improvements for local, state and corporate materials management programs, and helped numerous companies and industry associations increase recycling access and recovery of selected post-consumer materials. Our services/ experience includes:
- Developing state and county materials management plans
- Preparing annual sustainability reports
- Conducting recycling program assessment and optimization
- Conducting waste minimization analyses for businesses and institutions
- Conducting MRF efficiency studies
- Assessing the effectiveness of state-level recycling funding mechanisms
- Conducting waste composition studies
- Creating recycling market development plans
- Conducting corporate executive briefings
- Verifying supply chain claims
Policy Tracking, Assessment and Advisory
We arm clients with information and knowledge they need to make critical policy decisions.
We are policy experts. We understand what policies successfully minimize waste and enhance recycling – and best practices for implementing these policies at the state and local levels.
We assess the implications of existing and proposed policies to provide clients with peace of mind and the knowledge of how various policies may affect current and future business. We aid our clients in developing their own policy positions as well as understanding those of other stakeholders.
Circular Matters helps both public and private-sector clients understand available policy tools, and the best ways of implementing these tools. Examples of work in this arena include:
- Monitoring state legislative activity
- Developing policy updates and executive briefings
- Assessing stakeholder positioning
- Recommending policies and implementation strategies
- Developing policy position statements and draft ordinances
Policies are complex, and often have unintended consequences. Whether you are a company or a governmental entity, we can help you understand policy trends and their potential risks and opportunities, and develop a strategy for your organization.
We are experienced at developing and presenting information tailored to your organization’s needs. We can boil down complex information to the essential elements.
Circular Economy Engagement and Thought Leadership
Does enhancing sustainability make sense for your business? Your customers? Your constituents? We help businesses and organizations find answers and make the case for whether and how to become engaged in the circular economy.
The business case for a circular economy is compelling and companies and governmental agencies everywhere are giving serious consideration to its implications. Whether an organization is just considering or has already made a decision to become engaged, we provide a wealth of knowledge to help clients better understand and navigate the circular economy business model. Our experience includes:
- Developing national and state training manual content for recycling and solid waste management professionals
- Facilitating training and stakeholder engagement sessions
- Developing litter control training and guidance manuals
- Developing and conducting executive and staff briefings on packaging sustainability trends and drivers
- Developing easy-to-understand fact sheets and updates on complex issues
Recycling Market Development Strategy
Recycling doesn’t happen until materials are sold and used productively. We have helped establish markets for recycled materials, and can help your organization identify how it can help develop domestic markets.
Recycling is an activity that can be integral to economic development. After decades of relying too heavily on foreign markets, we realize we need to develop markets domestically to help ensure market stability. We can help identify the barriers and opportunities for developing markets. Today’s economy offers some interesting opportunities to foster innovation and collaboration – both of which are necessary in developing markets. Our experience includes:
- Assessing the effectiveness of recycling market development programs
- Identifying barriers to recycling market development, and strategies to overcome them
- Conducting supply and demand analyses for variable commodity types
- Assessing feedstock availability for independent engineering studies
- Providing direct technical and business assistance to recycled product manufacturers
Helping develop markets domestically for recovered materials will help introduce stability, and keep economic gains at home. It also mitigates risk for brand owners.